Thursday, October 11, 2012

Traveling with Baby - Road Trip

The thought of traveling with baby is always nerve-wracking.. Especially on a 6+ hour road trip! Yikes!

The plan was to leave at noon, but as usual with a baby.. plans change. After brunch with my mother-in-law and a pit stop at her house to breastfeed one last time, we (Maddie, my brother-in-law, my sister-in-law, and myself) started our drive at 2pm. Husband was landing at San Jose airport at 9:30pm so the plan was to time our trip just right to pick him up before driving to our final destination in Livermore.

Overall, the trip went smoothly! Baby girl was asleep for most of the way. We stopped twice so I could nurse. Once around 5:30pm and the next time when we arrived to San Jose at 8:30pm. To kill time before husband arrived, we stopped by Wal-Mart to get water, jackets and long-sleeved onesies for Maddie! It was windy and freezing up north!! By the time we were done, husband had just arrived and we made our way to our hotel. Maddie definitely got restless towards the end of the trip and was rightfully fussy and sick of being stuck in the carseat. I can't blame her. After all those hours in the car, my back was killing me.

Here are some tips I learned from my trip:
-make sure to add an additional half hour for every estimated 3 hours of your drive
-always pack short and long sleeved onesies for baby, you never know what the weather is going to be like
-keep baby in light clothing during the trip because it gets hot & sweaty sitting in the car seat. Keep a blanket with you in case it does get cold
-get a dress easy for nursing if you are attending a formal event. I decided to wear a dress that was NOT nursing-friendly and paid for it. Imagine sitting on a toilet in the restroom stall in only your undies nursing your baby.. yes, I did that and no, it was not fun and I do not plan on doing that again!!

I would give more tips, but Madison did so well I can't complain. Even during the wedding ceremony, I made sure to stay in the back just in case she started crying and fussing, but she only made one small cry and stopped the instant I picked her up. Phew! That was the one thing I was most worried about!

It'll probably be a long while before I subject her to such long hours in the carseat.. but I'm happy we survived our first road trip travel experience! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment